Hiring creative, responsible, experienced scratch cooks
They say artists have to suffer for their art to be great. We disagree.
Friend That Cooks Personal Chef Service has a dual mission. We have a service that improves the quality of life for both our clients AND our chefs. We don't believe you should have to sacrifice your evenings and weekends to make a career out of cooking. We don't believe in 6-7 day work weeks and 12-16 hour shifts. We don't believe great cooks should spend their career forced to prepare other chef's recipes, use sub-par ingredients or work in high pressure environments that prevent you from leaving your work at the workplace.
If you have a culinary degree (or can demonstrate equivalent knowledge), own a reliable vehicle, have a smart phone and know how to use it, are great with people, and have a huge repertoire of ethnically diverse dishes you can make from scratch without recipes, WE WANT TO TALK TO YOU.
Our personal chefs work mainly weekday hours from 8'ish to 5'ish. Evening and weekend opportunities occasionally arise, are optional, and pay automatic overtime. Our chefs start part-time at $19/hour plus some benefits, then advance to $20/hour and full benefits when their schedule reaches full time. They get creative freedom with their food (within the tastes and diet restrictions of their clients). They also have the best work environment in the food service industry.
The primary job of a Friend That Cooks chef is to provide in-home weekly meal prep to our clients. Our client's homes are our job site. Our chefs plan their menus, shop, cook on-site, clean up and stock their refrigerators with a week's worth of creative, delicious, prepared meals to reheat.
To be one of our chefs, you'll need to pass an intensive interview process that includes culinary knowledge and cooking tests. The right candidate will start part time at $19/hour and enjoy the benefits listed below:
- Automatic raise to $20/hour upon reaching a full schedule (full time)
- Automatic overtime for parties and cooking lessons (part and full time)
- Pay for optional holiday parties up to 3x hourly rate (part time and full time)
- Occasional tips (part and full time)
- Unrestricted flex pay for holidays, sick and personal days (full time)
- 401k with company contribution (part and full time)
- Heavily subsidized health/dental/vision insurance (full time)
- Paid maternity/paternity leave (part and full time)
- Equipment allowance (part and full time)
- Gas reimbursements (part and full time)
- Generous referral rewards for referring chefs and clients (part time and full time)
- Free uniforms (part time and full time)
We require two weeks of training, possibly requiring travel to another city which we pay for. There is no selling involved on your part. We provide all your clients and you get to focus on what you were born to do, creating and cooking.
To be considered for our position, send three professional references and your most recent resume to email@example.com. Applicants who do not follow these application instructions will not be considered for this position.
More About Us
Here's a brief overview of what we do, our history, and who uses our service. Visit our Services & Rates pages for more details and pricing on all our services.
In-home weekly meal prep. We plan, shop, cook, clean up. You heat and eat.
In-home parties and wine dinners. We do the food in your kitchen, you enjoy your guests.
In-home cooking lessons and parties. For groups or individuals, learn to make your favorite dishes using your own equipment in your own home.
- 2007 Founded in Wichita, KS
- 2009 Expanded to Kansas City
- 2013 8 chefs
- 2014 Added service in Chicago and St. Louis
- 2015 Des Moines and Omaha now served
- 2016 Denver, Milwaukee added, 20 chefs in 8 cities
- 2017 Indianapolis, Minneapolis added. Physical office opened in Shawnee, KS.
- 2018 Washington DC now served. 40 chefs, 5 full time managers.
- 2019 Introduced service in Dallas
- 2020 Added service to Miami, Tampa, Orlando, Houston, Austin and San Antonio. 63 total employees.
Who uses our service?
Friend That Cooks serves busy families and couples who don't have enough time to feed their family the way they would like. We eliminate food stress by planning, shopping, cooking and cleaning up, leaving them to simply heat and eat.
Many of our families have members with special dietary needs or food allergies. By cooking from scratch and customizing every menu, every week, for every family, we are able to accommodate any family's food needs.
As an hourly service, the more food our families need to make it through the week, the better value we are. We may not be the best choice for single clients, though couples who use us for more than just dinner find a lot of value in our service.